Summary von ,,Moon" by Chaim Potok

• Hallo :D
    ich schreibe diesen Dienstag, eine Englischarbeit über das thema ,,Moon" aus dem Buch English G 2000 für´s gym. Könnt ihr mir eventuell helfen eine Summary auf Englisch oder Informationen über die Geschichte zu bekommen? Ich habe selbst schon im Internet geforscht und herausgefunden, dass die Kurzegeschichte ( die wir im Buch haben ) aus dem :idea: Buch ZEBRA AND OTHER STORIES, 1998 stammt..

Ich würde mich echt super freuen, wenn ihr mir helfen könntet ! :wink:

• hey hey!! :D ich brauch unbedingt eure Hilfe!!! und zwar haben wir so hausaufgaben gekriegt!! und ich checks mal wieder voll nicht!! :x die Aufgabe heißt: The key scene : Choose what you think is the key scene in the story. Rewrite it as ascene from a play, with stage directions, and peform it for the class.
    na das soll was werden oder??? help me!! :P ich würde mich freuen

• Hey, sag mal: Du gehst nicht zufällig aufs Schuldorf in Jugenheim?? Wir schreiben nämlich auch am Di Englisch über diese Geschichte... :chair:

• The Factory
    I have always hated the factory. It has a gaunt steel frame like a skeleton. I've often imagined it
    without its red bricks, just an etching of black against a red sky.
    Of course, I've never said anything about this to anyone. Especially to Eric. You see, he
    5 loves the factory. He would like to put up his sign in those flashing neon lights that the city firms
    can afford. He saw a rainbow once over a petrol station there. I think he would have sold almost
    anything to have one of those on his roof.
    Every day he is up early. He sings in the shower and eats his breakfast quietly. He always reads
    the business section of the newspaper, then quarters it neatly.
    10 His days are like that. In four parts.
    The first is the morning, which I've mentioned. Then there's the day at the factory.
    That's in two: the morning and the afternoon. He uses the telephone to tell me when it's time for lunch. Just
    two rings. That's his code. Then five minutes later he's at the door, letting himself in.
    He reads at lunch, usually one of the classics. He didn't have much education.
    15 In fact, that's why I met him. We worked at the same factory, ten miles out of town. It
    manufactured shoes and boots. I was the boss's secretary, and Eric worked the floor.
    I'll always remember that first day. He was nervous, tried not to show it, but his hands shook.
    His hair was brown, his eyes were brown, and the factory overalls were brown. He almost faded
    into the background of brown leather shoes. Which was quite funny at the time.
    20 But I was describing his day. And he's not brown any more. Streaks of gray and a balding patch
    which he rakes over, spreading the hairs thinly across it. And he wears a suit. Usually gray, with a
    red handkerchief in the pocket. I suppose his eyes are still the same color, but I can't tell you. If
    you asked me, 1 just couldn't tell you.
    I did notice they were red tonight, which was unusual, but then the whole day was different.
    25 As though the four quarters came together and just rolled away.
    I could draw the second half of his day with my eyes closed.
    In the afternoon, he has a cup of tea in his office, then he works until six o'clock.
    Two rings on the telephone mean he's coming home for dinner. He has a good appetite and
    enjoys his food.
    30 In the evening he likes quiet. He always says that after such a busy day at the factory, he
    needs to sit and think. Which he does, with his eyes closed, his elbow on the chair, and his thumb
    and one finger pressed against his forehead. Or sometimes he just sits and stares into space.
    Eric always goes to bed early. He feels fresh then for the next day.
    But now the next day won't come. It won't be Eric's day, and his eyes are red. I've never seen
    35 him cry before.
    I said this day was different. It's night now, and soon the dawn will come. In the night, the sky
    was red. A brilliant red. That was beautiful. Black against red. Like a devil with horns or the
    final crashing chords of a great concerto.
    I loved it. Black skeleton of steel in a fiery night. Of course the fire brigade came. I didn't call
    40 them. It was beautiful just watching the sky burning. I don't think I will ever forget it. Eric was
    asleep.
    They came to tell us as soon as they arrived. Eric knew straight away it was all over.
    I love the night. Sometimes I stay up for hours, savoring it. The stars and that great arc of sky.
    The immense pattern, the changing moods of wind.
    45 Tonight it was special. It was different. And I feel very tired. But happy. An exhilarated feeling, a
    prickling right down my spine.

“Mary Dilworth. The Factory“

• hEy ,
    es ist supa wichtig! Wir haben im buch auf der Seite 52. Die a) about moon und die B) the key scene auf . ES ist nocht so, dass ich hier nach einer antwort auf die fragen warte, weil ich zu faul bin um sie selbst zu erledigen, sondernw eil ich echt nichts verstehe! ES wäre voll net wenn jemand HEUTE noch ne Antwort schreiben könnte! Danke euch super mega doll :lol:

• hey
    ich brauche auch sehr dringend die aufgaben zu dieser geschichte.
    wir müssen die aufgabe a (also 1-3) machen und die b
    kann mir BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTE jemand helfen...

• hallo =) ich brächte mal die übersetzung vpn text moon im English G 2000 buch für gymnasien... kann die mit jemand schicken??
    Wäre wichtig und dringend

Liebe Grüße de nine xD :D

• Hallo Very Happy
    ich schreibe diesen Dienstag, eine Englischarbeit über das thema ,,Moon" aus dem Buch English G 2000 für´s gym. Könnt ihr mir eventuell helfen eine Summary auf Englisch oder Informationen über die Geschichte zu bekommen? Ich habe selbst schon im Internet geforscht und herausgefunden, dass die Kurzegeschichte ( die wir im Buch haben ) aus dem Idea Buch ZEBRA AND OTHER STORIES, 1998 stammt..

Ich würde mich echt super freuen, wenn ihr mir helfen könntet ! Wink

Ich würde mich darüber sehr freuen wenn es noch heute abend ginge pls :D

• Moon
    by Chaim Potok

The main character in the text is Moon. Moon is thirteen years old, likes rock music, has blue dyed hair and wears an earring. He plays the drums in a rock band. At some time his parents told him that in the following days there will be a boy from Pakistan. The boy called Ashraf got freed of his job in a carpet factory. Ashraf is in the States to tell the pupil what was happening to him. Ashraf is, like Moon, a big fan of the Beatles. He’s a passionate drummer. He’s tapping everywhere with his fingers on the table. Any time he asked Moon if he can play his drums but he wasn’t very good so he played moon’s bongos He was a very good bongo player and Moon recorded that for him very strange music. After Ashraf left the house of the Vintens he spoke in TV and so on. But some day Ashraf got killed by a truck. Everybody thinks he was killed by other Pakistani who didn’t want him to speak in TV. The school of Moon made a memorial service for Ashraf where Moon had to play his drums to the bongo music Ashraf played. Everybody was fascinated by the passion Ashraf’s and Moon’ music had.

• Also es geht darum das ein Junge der sehr gerne Rock spielt einen jungen aus Afghanistan kennen lernt der sehr sympatisch auf ihn wirkt :)
    und so weiter sry kein bock mehr....

• Also es geht darum das ein Junge der sehr gerne Rock spielt einen jungen aus Afghanistan kennen lernt der sehr sympatisch auf ihn wirkt :)
    und so weiter sry kein bock mehr....

Aus Pakistan.Nicht aus Afghanistan.

-> Wer lesen kann, ist klar im Vorteil

• Ich werde auch eine Arbeit über 'Moon' schreiben, aber mal ehrlich...

1) es ist nicht gerade eine schwere Geschichte [mein Wortschatz besteht größtenteils aus dem Grundwortschatz aus den ersten beiden Jahren Englisch (5. und 6.) und seitdem habe ich keine Vokabeln mehr gelernt, obwohl ich jetzt gegen Ende der 10 wieder damit anfange :)]

2) die 'key scene' oder der 'turning point' ist ganz klar, das Zusammentreffen der Beiden im 'drum room' von Moon

3) mal ein Adjektiv für Moon: spoilt (verwöhnt) und Ashraf: shy (schüchtern)

4) Kurze Zusammenfassung:

Moon ist ein verwöhntes 13 jähriges Kind (ich würde ihn so beschreiben), der aber auch wenig Aufmerksamkeit von seinen Eltern bekommt. Und jetzt habe ich keinen Bock mehr...^^

• Hier ist meine Zusammenfassung, falls noch irgendjemand sie irgendwann gebrauchen kann.

The short story “Moon” by Chaim Potok deals with the 13-year-old American teenager Morgan Vinten who feels rejected and misunderstood by his parents who seem to care more about their social projects than about their son’s emotions and interests. Suffering from attacks of fear and anger which are often caused by his parents’ behavoiour, Morgan who calls himself Moon often withdraws to his bedroom or to his band room where he plays the drums.
    When Moon’s parents accomodate a Pakistani boy named Ashraf and his companion and translator, Mr Khan, who are travelling the USA to inform the public about child labour employed for producing carpets in Asia, Moon is at first very defensive not knowing whether his parents’ guests might interfere with his privacy.
    However, while attending a school assembly and listening to the report Ashraf gives about the unbearable living and working conditions during his childhood in Pakistan, Moon’s interest in Ashraf is aroused, particularly because Ashraf seems to be drumming a special rhythm with his fingers.
    Back at home, Ashraf and Mr Khan indeed enter Moon’s private band room, but as an interesting conversation about Moon’s punkish looks and his drumming as an outlet for aggressions develops, Moon opens up towards the visitors and even lets Ashraf play his drums making at the same time a recording of the special rhythm produced by Ashraf. The boys say goodby, knowing that Ashraf is going back to Pakistan at the end of his information campaign.
    Some weeks later Moon gets to know that Ashraf after having returned to Pakistan has died in a road accident presumably arranged by the carpet producing industry. During a memorial service held at Moon’s school, Moon plays his drums along to Ashraf’s rhythm from the recording, thus finding out that his aggressive and angry music is a better, truer and more satisfying way of coping with Ashraf’s death than the guilty wordlessness of his parents whose social organization has proofed unable to protect Ashraf.